Friday, August 20, 2010

An Introduction To Me

Greetings!

Allow me to take this opportunity to introduce myself a little before you join me on my adventures. I'm a young housewife from the midwest who thoroughly enjoys history, particularly that of the 1750s and 1810s. Now, this does not mean that I can tell you the dates surrounding the Siege of Louisbourg. I've never been good with dates and names, and can barely even recite the years during which the French and Indian War (or Seven Years' War) occurred. I'm terrible with memorization - but give me something tangible, like wood, or fabric, or sheets of music, and I'm completely mesmerized. I love learning about fashion of the time, or about what nails looked like in the 1750s (and how they were made).

I am a historical re-enactor. I've been going to events in period garb since my parents dressed me in a chemise and took me to my first event at nine months of age. At the age of thirteen I made the hobby my own by sewing all my own clothes. The next year I got involved in a junior fife and drum corps, and I've never looked back. After nine years of spending almost every fall and spring weekend at events, I don't know what I would do with my time! I've spent time in both the English and French camps, and have in the past few years been striving to further develop my knowledge about tangible things - things I'll be able to remember!

I do other things in my life, of course, but this blog is one dedicated to my projects, discoveries, and research involving the wonderful world of history. I have two completed projects that I will be adding shortly (an embroidered waistcoat and a sacque-back dress), as well as two more projects that are currently in the works (knitting and woodworking!), so please join me, follow along, and discover the wonders of the eighteenth century!

No comments:

Post a Comment